Bad Night

I got to my mother’s house around 6:30pm yesterday. My sister filled me in on how she’d been during the day and she was fine. No supplemental (physician approved) pain meds, no physical complaints beyond the norm. One little memory lapse, but that’s normal.

Shortly after my sister left to go home, my mother started complaining about pain. She got her regular pain meds at 8:00pm and I thought it would be okay from there. It takes a while to kick in, but once it does she’s usually all right for the night. Usually.

By 9:30 she’d had the physician approved supplemental pain med and it wasn’t helping. Her doctor told her that if the pain ever gets too much to sit in a hot shower and just let the water run over it. She did that last night and it did not help. There are two other physician approved, prescribed supplemental meds that she holds in reserve for bad nights. I thought I could tell which one she needed just by the way she was moving around, but she didn’t want it. She wanted my dad. I texted him around 10:00pm to see if he was still awake and he called almost immediately. They talked for a few minutes, which she said helped her even if it doesn’t help the pain (aww), and we decided to go with the other reserved, prescribed, physician approved med. Dad asked me to call back in 30 minutes to give an update.

For 29 minutes nothing changed. She was pacing around the house because sometimes the pain won’t let her sit still. Just as I was reaching for the phone though she went into her room, turned off the TV, closed the door, and got into bed. Hmmm… Dad called a minute later. She was still awake, but she was calm and seemed to be relaxed. A few minutes later I could hear her snoring a little. I told dad to go to sleep. I hope he did.

I, however, was freaked. Back when I was nana sitting on Friday nights, there were times when she was bad like this, but on those nights dad always came home. I had the experienced safety net. I didn’t have that last night. I sat in the living room in the chair closest to her bedroom door with at least one ear firmly focused on her.

She had conked out around 10:30. I didn’t lay down until about 12:30. I slept for an hour, woke up to go to the bathroom (because I’m old now and that’s what old people do). An hour later I woke up again. This time I saw that her bedroom door was open. She was asleep in bed, but I had clearly missed her getting up at some point. An hour later I woke up again. This time it was 3:30am. She was in the kitchen making breakfast. I got up and asked her if she knew what time it was. She did. She said that she had been asleep since 8:00 so getting up a bit before 4:00 was normal. I told her she didn’t go to sleep at 8:00, she went to sleep at 10:30 and was having a really bad night. She said that didn’t happen.

She sat at the dining room table to eat her breakfast and I sat in the living room listening. After half an hour or so she was sound asleep at the table. I didn’t wake her up. I can’t imagine it was comfortable, but she clearly needed to sleep and I wasn’t going to interrupt. It was after 4:00am by then. My alarm was set for 6:00. I goosed it up to 6:45 and went to sleep. I woke up around 5:30 for a minute or two, long enough to see that Mom was back in bed sound asleep, then woke up again around 6:15 and I’ve been up ever since.

She gets her next round of pills at 8:00am. 15 minutes from now. I really don’t want to wake her up, but there’s pain meds in the morning batch and I don’t want her to miss them.

Happy Friday morning, everyone!

Note: If you didn’t figure it out by the post above, all of the medications she takes are prescribed, and all of the medication delivery plans we follow came from the doctors who prescribed said medications. We aren’t making this shit up on our own.

Published by


I'm wicked tall.