Another Covid-Versary Post

I guess today is technically the anniversary of the first day of lock down for me as it’s the first day I didn’t go to work. I think I focus on yesterday’s date for two reasons. First, 3/14/20 was a Saturday so I wasn’t going to work anyway. Second, 3/13/20 was a Friday the 13th and that just seems more fitting.

So what did I do last year? I posted about a couple of things. I mentioned what a crappy guitar player and songwriter I am. I was working on the March album in a month and apparently had a bad couple of days. I had two posts about setting up my desk. I took my work PC home with me the day before and spent some time with Jen rigging things so that I could add it to the setup on my desk without unplugging anything else. At the time I had this MacBook that I’m on right now, the Windows laptop I had been using for telecommuting, and the work desktop. Now I have the MacBook and a new work laptop running into one monitor and the old windows pre-covid work from home laptop is on the desk but not hooked into anything. One year ago I was setup to have the same mouse and keyboard for all three machines, but now I have a big clickity clackity mechanical keyboard and a nice gaming mouse for the work machine and wireless Apple keyboard and MagicPads for the Macbook. When I change machines I just change the input on the monitor and use the different keyboard and mouse. It’s not the neatest setup but it’s working great for me.

The only really important post from this day last year had to do with some errands. I got the Mazda inspected. Doing the math, that means I have to get it inspected again this month. I remember it feeling really weird being inside the garage’s waiting room. I sat as far away from the rest of the customers as I could. It also mentions that I went to a supermarket. I remember that pretty clearly. We usually go to a Market Basket in Salem which is probably a mile or so away from home. Both of the kids used to work there. They had not yet implemented any social distance measures and stuff was flying off the shelves as people started getting scared. We decided to try alternate super market choices and I went to a Shaws in Windham which is about a 15 minute drive away. I went there because the crowds were tiny and they hadn’t started running out of stuff yet. Over the first couple of weeks of lock down we went to that store and the Salem Market Bucket a couple of times each and it was stressful every time. Then Jen started using Instacart which let us shell out some extra money to avoid the stress. The folks doing the shopping for Instacart (and similar services) are among the true heroes of the pandemic. Thank you. All of you.

And that is a summary of what I was up to on the first full day of my coronavirus lock down.

Published by


I'm wicked tall.